**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.
As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.
They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers abarbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY
The first book in a captivating trilogy, Veronica Rossi’s enthralling debut sweeps you into an unforgettable adventure.


Lets recall how I decided to pick this one up, Rage Comic style!


Pffftt...this book just isn't for me. I made it up to 50% and then I couldn't go on anymore. Realizing just how many 4-5-stars ratings for this book, I decided not to rate it because I think the problem partly lies in me.

Patience. I don't haz it.

Aria and Perry both have a very unique and distinctive background with countless terms dedicated to describe their daily lives. Reverie, Realm, Bliss, Unity, Aud, Aether, Blood Lord, Mole, Outsider, Dweller, Tides *tries to catch a breath* Luster, Scire, Seer and etc.

The funny thing is, the author barely described the terms when they were first intoduced. I needed to come across each particular term two to three times before I finally understand what they mean.

*Just remembers to check the back of the book for glossary*

Owh, none! Bummer!

Hmm...looks like I have to shelve this under DNF for good.

The problem with terminology done, I still had problem making sense what was going on majority of the time. The writing and the word building was very...odd. It was as if Veronica Rossi left out bits and pieces here and there. Things seemed calm and normal, and suddenly boom!, we got major conflicts and suspense.

***Spoilers ahead***[I was like 'Wait, they thrown Aria out in the desert?', 'Wait, the Dwellers took Talon away?, 'Wait, Perry killed those men?' (hide spoiler)]
I was like 'Wait, they thrown Aria out in the desert?', 'Wait, the Dwellers took Talon away?, 'Wait, Perry killed those men?'
***Spoilers finished***

The characters while they are given names, they come and go. Some made an appearance for two pages max. I don't know about anyone else but for me personally, I prefer these unimportant secondary characters to not be given names, otherwise I'll try to commit the names into my memory in anticipation that they'll contribute more to the story.

So yeah, please don't hate me if you're a fan of this book. I have a very short winter break. So, I need to utilize my holiday for enjoyable reads only :D

View all my reviews

7 comments:

LOL! I had a good laugh with the comics.

Haha...thanks! I was bored, that's why.

I totally agree with you! Rossi took the whole "don't ask/don't tell" concept to the extreme, which, in the end, leaves you with more questions than you've got answers.

Plus, that ending? Can we say anticlimactic? :)

LOL! Glad to know someone actually agrees with me. I didn't read far enough to know the ending. But if it's anti-climatic then now I can be truly convinced that this book is really not for me. :/

You know how there are movies in which the last scene is a slow fade-out and then the credits roll?

That's pretty much how the ending of this book is. I kept expecting something, anything, to happen and..it didn't. And then it ended. Lol.

No hints of what's to come, nothing to entice me to read the next installment.

Yeah? Well, that sounds to me like a mega cliffhanger without actually be a cliffhanger. I like books that end with a boom so yeah, not sure if I'm going to pick up the next book in the series. :/

Great review Zuleeza! It brought a huge smile to my face. I actually enjoyed UtNS but understand about the whole being confusing part.

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...