**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description

Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Pearl is a sixteen-year-old vampire, fond of blood, allergic to sunlight, and mostly evil... until the night a sparkly unicorn stabs her through the heart with his horn. Oops.
Her Family think she was attacked by a vampire hunter (because, obviously, unicorns don't exist), and they're shocked she survived. They're even more shocked when Pearl discovers she can now withstand the sun. But they quickly find a way to make use of her new talent. The Vampire King of New England has chosen Pearl's Family to host his feast. If Pearl enrolls in high school, she can make lots of human friends and lure them to the king's feast -- as the entrees.
The only problem? Pearl's starting to feel the twinges of a conscience. How can she serve up her new friends — especially the cute guy who makes her fangs ache — to be slaughtered? Then again, she's definitely dead if she lets down her Family. What's a sunlight-loving vamp to do?

How about I first show you the picture of how I feel about this book.

Yup, if unicorns can poop rainbows, I can figuratively vomit rainbows just because this book was unexpectedly awesome.

Btw, I'm proud to declare that I was the first person who read the copy from my local library!! I may have to purchase this book later so that I can highlight all the hilarious lines!

I finished this book in one sitting but I was too sleepy afterwards to write the review because it was already freaking 2 a.m.

Why I'm telling you this...

ANYWAY, I honestly want to give this book 4.5 stars because well, while it offers a sheer joy, it's not one of those books which will establish a new genre or even establish a new insight into fiction writing. And of course, some of the scenes were downright ridiculous. ***Spoiler ahead*** You can't just go around, telling other people you are a vampire and then show them your fangs, because in real world, people will not react as mildly as Pearl's friends. And yeah, the ending was a perfect happily ever after too. But that's for the best since I don't think it's appropriate for this book to end in major casualties.***Spoiler finished*** But, I cannot resist but to round it off to five stars because this book excels to entertain with such a simple premise, without going too deep into all the complex mythology, and that's a rare thing to accomplish. Again, it felt sooooo good to read a stand alone book.

I think there was not a single character that I didn't like. As stereotypical as some of them may be, the dialogues are totally witty and smart. ***Spoiler ahead*** I even feel a pang of sadness when Brad died :([I even feel a pang of sadness when Brad died :( (hide spoiler)]

The only drawback is entirely my fault!!! I was scrolling for the reviews and then I spotted the word were-unicorn! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

View all my reviews

2 comments:

This sounds really interesting and I get a "it's funny" vibe from it. Will definitely check this out. :)

Haha! Yup, this definitely worth a try :)

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...